Thursday, May 28, 2009

Training camp is officially underway! I am not going to lie I am sore... there is no way to replicate being hit and playing basketball except doing it in games! I am hoping tomorrow is the hump day and if I make it through that it will all start to feel better. Camp has been going okay it has been frustrating trying to get back in the swing of things I have been struggling with patience I am praying for some to come quickly!

I am reading a very interesting book right now though it is called In Defense of Food. It talks a lot about the Western diet and how our nutrition has changed over the years into what he calls "orthorexia: people with an unhealthy obsession with healthy eating." So true we buy into all the diet and low fat fads that come out and find out a few years down the road that they were not that good for us. Here is a little tidbit from the book about Sucrose

"Only the power of sugar lobby in Washington can explain the fact that the official U.S recommendation for the maximum permissible level of free sugars in the diet is an eye popping 25 percent of daily calories. To give you some idea just how permissive that is, the WHO recommends that no more than 10% of daily calories come from added sugars, a benchmark that the U.S sugar lobby has worked furiously to dismantle. In 2004 it enlisted the Bush state department in a campaign to get the recommendation changed and has threatened to lobby Congress to cut WHO funding unless the Organization recants. Perhaps we should be grateful that the saturated fat interests have as yet organized no such lobby.

It has me thinking about what to buy the next time I head out for groceries that is for sure!

No comments: